Business or Premium Class — Is It Worth It?
Imagine this: You step onto the aeroplane, ready to embark on your dream holiday to a faraway destination. As you make your way down the aisle, you can’t help but cast a wistful glance at the business class passengers, comfortably nestled in their spacious seats, savouring a glass of fine wine. But hold on a minute — this time, you’re one of them! Yes, you heard it right. You’ve treated yourself to the ultimate indulgence of flying in business or premium class, and the perks are about to unfold before your very eyes.
At Click and Trip, we understand that travel is not just about reaching your destination; it’s about embracing the journey and immersing yourself in the experience. But not all premium and business class tickets offer the same level of experience.
When you’re splashing out on an airline upgrade, it’s important to make sure your money is well spent. So we’ve put together this guide to look at the differences between economy, premium, and business class to help you decide whether that upgrade is really worth it.
Understanding the Classes: Economy, Premium Economy, and Business Class
First, let’s unravel the different travel classes and what they offer.
● Economy Class: This is an affordable choice with standard seats and basic amenities for practical travel.
● Premium Economy Class: Premium economy is often shortened to simply “premium.” Is premium better than business class? No — you can think of it as the middle ground between economy and business class, providing enhanced comfort and additional perks at a reasonable price.
● Business Class: This is an elevated experience featuring spacious seats, privacy options, gourmet dining, and top-notch services.
It’s worth noting that there’s no official standard for these classes, and the names and what they include vary between airlines. But you can use the above guide as a general rule of thumb when you’re comparing ticket prices.
Now let’s take a closer look at what you can expect when upgrading to premium or business class.
Comfort and Amenities
When it comes to travel comfort, both premium economy and business class offer significant upgrades compared to economy class.
In premium economy, you’ll enjoy wider seats and increased legroom, allowing for more space to relax during your flight. Some airlines provide footrests or leg rests for added comfort. You may also have larger entertainment screens and premium headphones. The cabin atmosphere tends to be quieter and more spacious, contributing to a more relaxed journey.
Business class takes comfort to luxurious heights. Look for airlines with flat-bed seats, ensuring a restful sleep during long-haul flights. Privacy features like individual cabins or partitions create a secluded environment.
Premium amenities such as plush bedding, cosy blankets, and comfortable pillows are provided. Business class passengers are also treated to an array of luxurious toiletries and gifts, adding an extra touch of pampering and indulgence to their travel experience.
You can also expect more attentive and personalized service throughout the flight, as the cabin crew cater to your needs and ensure a memorable experience.
In premium economy, you can expect an upgrade from the standard in-flight meal service. But don’t set your expectations too high, as it’s often not a dramatic difference.
If you’re a business class passenger, on the other hand, you’ll be served a multiple-course meal on real china, adding a touch of elegance to your in-flight dining. These meals are carefully prepared by talented chefs, featuring delicious flavours and attractive presentations. To enhance the experience, a selection of fine wines, champagnes, and other premium beverages are available.
Extra Services and Priority Treatment
If you upgrade to premium economy, you’ll usually get the bonus of priority check-in and more baggage allowance. But most airlines don’t include access to lounges (however, you can often book this separately — contact the team at Click and Trip if you’d like us to book lounge passes for you.
Business travellers can say goodbye to the hassles of long queues and stressful airport experiences. When you upgrade, you’ll enjoy a host of extra services and priority treatment that will make you feel like a VIP.
And before your flight, you can indulge in the comfort of exclusive airport lounges, where you can unwind with a drink and gourmet snacks.
Now, you might be wondering about the cost — after all, luxury often comes at a price. It’s true that upgrading to business or premium class does entail an additional investment compared to economy class. The actual price difference does vary quite a bit between airlines.
On average, you can expect to pay at least 50% more to upgrade to premium, while business class tickets can be 2 to 5 times higher than economy fares.
Business Class and Premium Options on Our Favourite Airlines
To give you a taste of the options available, let’s explore a few airlines that offer outstanding business or premium class experiences:
● Emirates: Known for their exceptional service, Emirates offers an amazing premium experience flying out of Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. They have a dedicated premium economy class, providing a comfortable journey at a reasonable price.
● Qatar Airways: Voted as one of the best business class airlines, Qatar Airways offers a full suite experience, including their innovative Qsuite, which is great for families. While their business class is highly regarded, it has a price tag to match, and they do not have a premium class option.
● Singapore Airlines: Renowned for its world-class service, Singapore Airlines offers an incredible business class experience with fully flat beds and suites available. They also offer a private dedicated check-in exclusively in Singapore, ensuring a seamless and exclusive experience for passengers. While their business class fares can be on the pricey side, the luxurious amenities and top-notch service make it worth considering. Additionally, they provide premium class options for those seeking a more comfortable experience without splurging on business class.
● EVA Air: EVA Air is highly rated and has earned a 5-star rating from Skytrax, joining an elite group of airlines. We highly recommend EVA Air for its exceptional service and comfort. While they offer both business class and premium economy options, their premium economy class stands out for its superb comfort. With affordable fares, you can enjoy the luxurious experience of premium economy, which offers exceptional comfort and amenities. For approximately $4,000 per person, you can either enjoy a round trip to London in premium economy or a round trip from Brisbane to Bangkok in business class.
Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Now that you have a better understanding of the differences between the classes, the real question is, “Is premium economy worth it?” Or do you really want to splash out for business class? Consider the duration of your flight, your personal preferences for comfort, and the overall value you place on an elevated travel experience.
For long-haul journeys or special occasions, the enhanced comfort and exclusive amenities can make all the difference, transforming your trip into a remarkable adventure. But if you see the flight as a means to an end, you might prefer to save your cash for when you reach your final destination.
If you’re still uncertain, the team at Click and Trip is here to provide personalized advice and help you make the best decision for your journey. Feel free to contact us at any stage of planning your holiday, and we’ll be happy to help.